The first public drinking fountains (česma in Serbian) had been constructed along the route of the Roman aqueduct in ancient times and, as of the 15th century, they became genuine sculptural works, such as the Vizier’s drinking fountain constructed on the order of Mehmed Pasha Sokolović on Kalemegdan in 1576. Drinking fountains were also constructed along the route of the Bulbulderski waterworks, which stretched from the present-day City Hospital to Kalemegdan and ran parallel with the namesake creek. Today in Belgrade there are 42 fountains and over 140 public drinking fountains.
The fountain was put up by Mehed Pasha Sokolovic (1505-1579) in the second half of the sixteenth century. In the seventieth century, during his visit to Belgrade, Elvija Celebija wrote down the inscription he saw on the fountain, saying: “Come forth bey, if you wish to drink from a heavenly wealth”. During the Austrian reconstruction of the Belgrade’s Fortress, between 1717 and 1739, the trench where the fountain was placed was filled up in order to create a passage to the Lower Town from the Defterdar’s Gate. After this, its appearance changed greatly. The fountain was unearthed in 1938, when parts of the façade were discovered and surrounding area renovated. In 1989 conservation and restoration works were carried out, and after necessary adaptation works in 2006 were done the fountain is again operational.
Author: Franc Loran, stonecutter, raised in 1860.
At Terazije, in front of the Moskva Hotel, made of stone, with a metal vase on its top, total height about 8 m. During the works on regulation of Terazije in 1911-1912 it was moved to Topčider. It has remained there until 1976, when it was brought back to its original location.
Author: Simeon Roksandić, sculptor - bronze, total height 149 cm. raised in 1931.
At this former well, on June 3, 1862, a Turkish soldier (nizam) hit a Serb boy, apprentice Sava, because he protested when the Turk put Sava's jug aside. A group of Serbs encircled the Turkish soldiers who were at the well, but the dragoman (interpreter) of the Serbian police and the terjuman (mediator between the Serbs and Turkish authorities) took the Turks away from that place. Nevertheless, in front of the police building, the Turks killed the Serbian terjuman Sima Nešić and the gendarme Đorđe Nišlija. These events led to bloody disputes between the Belgrade Serbs and the Turks, and were an excuse for the bombardment of Belgrade by the Turks made on June 5, 1862. In memory to these events, a monument with statue of a boy was raised at that place, with the resources provided by the Endowment of the merchant Toma Vanđel.
Author: Aleksandar Deroko, architect, raised in 1987
The third Delijska Fountain to bear this name was built in Knez Mihailova Street during its reconstruction in 1987 and is a replica of the old Delijska Fountain. The first one was built in 1843 and torn down in 1889, when the second Delijska Fountain was built in its place. That one was demolished in 1913 when the building of the Serbian Academy of Sciences was built. The name “delijska” originates from the Turkish word for light cavalry - deli, as the fountain was used to water their horses.
Author: Aleksandar Vitek, architect, raised in 1989
The Sebilj Fountain at the lower end of Skadarlija is a replica of the Sebilj Fountain in Baščaršija, donated to Belgrade by Sarajevo in 1989. According to Ottoman tradition the Sebilj or public fountains were built on squares or crossroads.
Author: Milica Ribnikar, sculptor, raised in 1966)
Fountains have a noted place in the history of Belgrade as popular gathering places. A fountain from Turkish times stood in Skadarlija in place of today’s new fountain. Branislav Nušić noted in 1929 that beneath the arch of the aqueduct that spanned Skadarska Street there stood a small fountain with a single faucet. The new Skadarlija Fountain was built during the reconstruction of a number of facilities in Skadarska Street. The opening of the summer season is celebrated each year at this fountain with the raising of a flag bearing the symbols of Skadarlija (carnation, cane and boating hat).
Hajdučka fountain is one of the most popular and oldest Belgrade fountains. The origin of the name is not known even when it is exactly erected, but it is assumed that it was at the end of the 18th century.
A new star of Belgrade postcards has been born in 2017. The long-awaited musical fountain, the largest one in south-east Europe, is at the Slavija square. This attractive fountain is going to play music twice a day, and also, the sprays of water will move in different rhythms and colours. Considering its central location surrounded by several traffic lanes in the roundabout, it is regrettable that a lot of people, and children in particular, will be unable to freshen up a bit in the fountain during the hot summer days. On the other hand, such location allows superb enjoyment in genuinely spectacular audio-visual experience
Situated between Terazije, Bulevar Kralja Aleksandra and Dečanska Street, Nikola Pašić's Square is the youngest Belgrade square. It was built in 1953, when a fountain was placed
In the central part of the Pioneer's park there was a pool with the sculpture of a naked girl holding a jug in her hand, the sculpture which was imported from Vienna, and which still stands there.
Andrićev Venac is a short paved promenade which connects Pioneers Park and Kralja Milana street. named after Yugoslav Nobel laureate in literature, Ivo Andrić. The promenade has benches, artistic candelabra, lime trees and an artificial, marble step-like stream originating from a fountain and a monument to Andrić.
Music fountain located in Tašmajdan, the largest Belgrade park, at the site of the former Turkish cemetery.